- ABOUT US
- YOUNG PEOPLE
- WHAT'S ON
St John's was built in the 1828 and combines elements of Georgian church design within on overall design of 'starved Gothic'. Originally seating 1300 people: with 3 galleries and benches running down the centre aisle for the poor the building has undergone several redecorations and major refits. The current refit was ordered in 1988 by the Hill Rowe Partnership to create 2 halls, kitchens, toilets and office spaces, as well as reordering the main church to fit the liturgical reforms of the 1960's.
Over the last 10 years, in partnership with LBH&F the churchyard has been resurfaced, landscaped and the historic railings have been repaired. Our partner, Peques Nursery, has installed a mezzanine floor in the Upper Hall and we are currently undertaking a 3 phase repair/refurbishment programme. We enlarged the Coffee Kitchen to provide space to cater with hot food and we've doubled our lavatories including space for a baby changing unit within the disabled loo.
The first half of 2015 has seen the repair of the two lower aisle roofs and we move onto the church tower in July 2015. Advertising on the tower has been our way of match funding our grant from English Heritage and we're delighted that the last quarter of 2014 has finally enabled us to proceed. We know we've not been very lovely to look at over the past few years so thank you to all our neighbours for putting up with us. We're sure it's all going to be worth it!
WEEKLY AT ST JOHN'S